Angeles National Forest Closure - October 23

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Anybody have a guess if the SG National forest will be re-opened by this Sat?
If not anyone want to carpool to the southern sierra????? Olancha peak?? langley?? Cirque???
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

hvydrt wrote:Anybody have a guess if the SG National forest will be re-opened by this Sat?
If not anyone want to carpool to the southern sierra????? Olancha peak?? langley?? Cirque???
If I had to guess, I would go with several weeks for the closure, assuming no more big fires (which may be quite an assumption). In 2003, the ANF was closed from 10/27 - 11/7. The SBNF closed earlier and re-opened the same day. In 2004, the ANF was closed from 9/27 - 10/20.

I am going to be local this weekend. I was orignally hoping to get as far as Baldy, but it looks like the Verdugos for me.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Yup, the sierra it is this weekend. I might go as far north as Bishop.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AlanK wrote:it looks like the Verdugos for me...
Where are you headed, Alan? (I don't want to be startled by the blinding flash of light as you pass) :)

I was thinking either the Fire Warden's Grove loop in the Verdugos or the Sister Elsie Trail. I'll probably do the Sister Elsie Tr. My loppers and I have a date with a certain dense clot of brush.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hikin' Jim-

The Sister Elsie Trail is still in the ANF even if it is within LA City boundaries. Food for thought...

BTW, we did Sister Elsie to Lukens, down the fire road to the trail back into Haynes Canyon in March. What a nice loop!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I never have hiked in the Verdugos. I'd be interested in learning some good loops.

I initially was thinking Lukens was eligible for a legal hike this weekend but after looking at some maps, I think Lukens is in the ANF. *grumble*
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Where are you headed, Alan?
I'm sticking with the Verdugos this weekend -- where I end up going depends opn how much time I can come up with.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Mike P wrote:The Sister Elsie Trail is still in the ANF even if it is within LA City boundaries. Food for thought...
Yeah, I saw that map that Alan posted a link to. Lukens is definitely in the green area on that map, but I question the map's accuracy. I don't think it's possible to have incorporated city land be simultaneously National Forest land; it's either one or the other. If the city is surrounded, then it's an inholding, but it's still not National Forest Land when you're inside the city limits. Hmm. Of course I'm not a lawyer, so maybe risking a $5K fine :shock: isn't worth it on my say so.
Mike P wrote:BTW, we did Sister Elsie to Lukens, down the fire road to the trail back into Haynes Canyon in March. What a nice loop!
I think so. I was particularly impressed that there was water back there too, near the trail junction between the two halves of the loop. The second creek crossing is really verdant.
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

I personally wouldn't hike anywhere down here, regardless of any closures. With the air quality as it is, probably not a good idea to breathe in all that crap...
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Far be it from me to defend Southern California air, which is the dirtiest in the country. But don't judge things by what is happening near the coast. That is typically where one finds the good air, but Santa Anas and fires result in lots of smoke in places like Long Beach (singled out in an article I saw yesterday). . Meanwhile, things have been pretty normal most of the time near where I live. That can obviosuly change. But, for those of us who do not have the Sierra option open this weekend, there are local opportunities.
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

AlanK wrote:But don't judge things by what is happening near the coast. That is typically where one finds the good air, but Santa Anas and fires result in lots of smoke in places like Long Beach
True! Most of the time, air is great where I live (except now). Looks like the winds will shift back to the south though (good for the coastal peops), which makes me think all the smoke will be hanging inland and in the mountains this weekend...

I might be biking near the coast instead then...
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I spoke with a ranger for the SG National Forest today. She said the forest will be closed at least for the next two weeks, and possibly until after a major rain.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:(
Betty Goat

Post by Betty Goat »

hi 2 of my friends told me this was a good site for hiking in the local mountains. i looked at this site this morning and found some stuff that really bothered me. when the fires started, and my mom lost her home in arrowhead, i got moved to my dads place that i dont like, a lot of ppl on this site were just making fun of stuff, like saying they should take machine guns and baseball bats and stuff like that on the trails because the local mountains are closed now. i don't think i like this website because i can't even believe people could make fun of a really bad thing that happened to a lot of people i know. there were 3 ppl who made fun of stuff on the 1st or second page of this article.
my mom told me that there were ppl who laughed and made jokes when JFK got murdered. i think those are the same type of ppl who are making jokes here. i dont know how to use the quote thiing on this site, but the three ppl i saw making jokes were hikingjim alank and tacodelrio i feel sorry for them. im not smart, but i dont do stuff like they did.

sorry my mom told me mikej did it too
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I believe you misread, Betty_Goat. Only thing I saw were jokes regarding inner-city communities in Los Angeles, due to the lack of hiking available in the mountains.

Reading comprehension.
EricM

Post by EricM »

A possible (and somewhat controversial)alternative which I used during the last closure is hiking on the Mt Baldy Ski Lift property:

http://www.mtbaldy.com/live.php

What I was told by a ski lift employee at that time (which I again confirmed today by phone), you can hike underneath the ski lifts from the ski lift parking lot up to the lodge and then hike up to the top of either of the ski runs as long as you dont go beyond the ski lift property boundaries. You must park in the ski lift parking lot (i.e. not where hikers usually park near the Falls Road entrance).

However, if you call the Mt Baldy Ranger Station they will tell you that you cannot hike anywhere but that you can ride the ski lift to the lodge and back.
Betty Goat

Post by Betty Goat »

i read real good tacodelrio im in my top 95 percentile in myschool. i read and comprehend real good.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I didn't see any problems, Betty. If you have one that bothers you, PM me and I'll be glad fix it.
Maxwell's Demon

Post by Maxwell's Demon »

Betty Goat wrote:im not smart
Betty Goat wrote:im in my top 95 percentile in myschool.
Betty Goat

Post by Betty Goat »

tacodelrio i didn't think you would see a problem afterall you were one of the ppl having fun about the fires. maxwell demon im not smart with doing quote things like you just did but i am in the 95 percentile in my school
Maxwell's Demon

Post by Maxwell's Demon »

I see. So your two friends are lurkers?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Betty Goat wrote:...when the fires started, and my mom lost her home in arrowhead...
Hi, Betty, I'm really sorry to here about your mom's house. That must have been really traumatic for both you and your family. God bless you and keep you.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

We are sorry about your situation, and many of us have friends and family who are in the affected areas, or are working there as emergency services, volunteers, of military personell.

No negative comments were exchanged. If you can show one to me, I'll be happy to fix it for you if it so bothers you. For the life of me, I cannot find anything derogatory or negative about this thread in regards to the issue. I for one joked about Compton. There were no fires in Compton.

Once again, if you have any problems, feel free to send a PM (Private Message).
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Betty Goat is an obvious troll.
Travis

Post by Travis »

RichardK wrote:Betty Goat is an obvious troll.
agreed, and she just happens to have the same IP address of Cristina and Janice (aka crystal).
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Doesn't anyone have a job? :lol: :wink:
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

I sure dont. Working is too time consuming. So many mountains - so little time. It sure helps to have a social security check coming in. Wasnt that rain yesterday great :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cy Kaicener wrote:I sure dont. Working is too time consuming. So many mountains - so little time. It sure helps to have a social security check coming in. Wasnt that rain yesterday great :)
I'll probably get $0.25 when I retire. :wink:

All 5 minutes of that rain... I hope it helped the firemen!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

RichardK wrote:Betty Goat is an obvious troll.
Dang I'm naive. I though she was just non compis mentis. I didn't realize she was deliberately trying to sabotage things.

Wow, what a poor empty soul, no meaning or purpose to her life. My God, what sheer hell it must be to exist like that. She's sort of like Gollum in the Lord of the Rings, just a twisted empty shell of what she should have been. I hope she gets help.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Cy Kaicener wrote:I sure dont. Working is too time consuming. So many mountains - so little time. It sure helps to have a social security check coming in. Wasnt that rain yesterday great :)
Oh, sure, Cy, rub it in why don't you? You do realize that we're the ones funding your Soc. Sec. Check. Don't tick us off! :twisted:

:wink: