General Conditions

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

BiletChick/Stacy
Nice pictures/congrats on the first dry climb of baldy, I too miss the snow, cannot believe how much has melted on the backside in just 2 weeks - it's all gone now.

The temperatures didn't look all that bad, but that first 1/2 mile coming away from the Notch where the ski lift is always gives everyone a run for their money after walking up that boring dirt road for 3+ miles.

Remember if we are lucky it's only 6 more months before the snow falls again - please snow big in 2010/2011 :D
BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

Hey lilbitmo (Patrick? from the San J board?)
DILF...love that!
I 'm with ya on the hope for BIG SNOW in 2010/2011!
I did my first peak on San J in Feb of this year - snowshoes up, crampons down. That got the ball rollin' for Baldy and I love it!
There's alot to be said for backpacking in the Sierras, but that snow climbing stuff is an freakin' blast.
Stacy
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

BiletChick wrote:Hey lilbitmo (Patrick? from the San J board?)
DILF...love that!
I 'm with ya on the hope for BIG SNOW in 2010/2011!
I did my first peak on San J in Feb of this year - snowshoes up, crampons down. That got the ball rollin' for Baldy and I love it!
There's alot to be said for backpacking in the Sierras, but that snow climbing stuff is an freakin' blast.
Stacy
I'm lilbitmo on the San J board, this board, summitpost, WPMB (Whitney Board) and the San Gorgonio board, yes the name is Patrick but there's at least two other Patrick's.

DILF - is an inside joke from Taco and Enfuego - I'll explain in person when I see you on the trail.
:lol: :wink:
BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

Sounds good Patrick, I'd love to hear that story!
I'm on those boards too. I don't look at SP as much, mainly WPSMB, San J, and here...same name also. You're the Patrick I was thinking of. I've been reading your posts on San J for a while. We probably have a dozen+ friends in common on FB...lol!

BTW - is that your hiking partner in the Baldy summit pic?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

BiletChick wrote:BTW - is that your hiking partner in the Baldy summit pic?
She was my hiking partner for 4 years we did over 30 summits together and 200 + miles of the PCT from south of big bear to just shy of the 14 freeway but she had liver cancer at the age of 4 and died in my arms at the vet the tuesday following Memorial Day 2009 - she loved the mountains as much as any creature - that was a sad day - here's a little tribute I did for her - Ode to Lucy
BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

Wow, that is incredibly sad. Only four years old? I would have been devastated. Kudos to you for getting back out on the trail, it must have been difficult. I'm sure she's watching over you from above (in between chasing squirrels...lol).
SoCalJP74

Post by SoCalJP74 »

I was there on Thursday. There was a closed sign knocked over at the entrance and the lot looks a little overgrown. We continued on to Vincent Gap and hiked to BP, Burnham and Throop.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

YES
Taco

Post by Taco »

So, uh, how's the weather up there right now? :lol:

Weather Underground sez it's going to snow through Thursday.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Since someone on the Whitney Portal board complained that I am not updating this (I don't have a life, you know), here's a rundown of the conditions:

-Bring crampons.

Thank you, and have a good day.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:

And here I was going to bring flip flops and bermuda shorts. Thank goodness for SGMDF.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Where the hell would you be without me, Jim.

That's not a question, that's a threat. :shock:
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

Does anyone know the conditions of the south ridge of Mt. Islip? Specifically, I'm interested in the route from the Bear Creek Trail saddle north of Smith Mt, then north to Highway 39 via Peak 5495, then north along the spine of the ridge to Mt. Islip. From the satellite images it looks like there is not much brush between Hwy 39 and Mt. Islip, and a firebreak between the Smith Mt saddle and Hwy 39, but if anyone has done this lately I'd be interested in hearing how it went.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:
Taco

Post by Taco »

When I've done it, it was pretty much brush free. The firebreak from Smith Saddle to 5495 is arright, and there's a fire road from 5495 to R39 near Crystal Lake. The ridge from near the lake up to the summit of Islip is easy. Looks to be pretty much snow free.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Looking north from Smith on 7-24-2010...
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

Great, thanks for the info and the pic.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Snow level at manker flats! Not much accumulation there. Only about a half an inch to am inch at best. Road is covered with snow up to the trail. Thank god for winter
He219

Post by He219 »

Image (click image for screen res)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Ain't that beautiful. 8)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Got a little bit of weather coming up...
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... ct=WEATHER
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Early Saturday there was a little fresh snow starting around 5,500 feet. Mt Baldy Ski is saying 1-2 feet more today.
simonov

Post by simonov »

NOAA says this:

Total daytime snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible . . . New snow accumulation of 16 to 22 inches possible [tonight]."
Nunc est bibendum
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Taco

Post by Taco »

HAHAHAHHAHAHA

Ectoplasm.

Yay snow!
simonov

Post by simonov »

I don't know what's going on up in the mountains, but down here in Costa Mesa we are having the most intense springtime storm I have ever experienced.
Nunc est bibendum
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

This is all I need to know that makes me happy :D

Tonight: Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy fog. Low around 19. Wind chill values as low as zero. Windy, with a south wind 35 to 40 mph decreasing to between 25 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 21 to 27 inches possible.

Monday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 11am. Some thunder is also possible. Patchy fog. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 21. Breezy, with a west wind between 20 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. West wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 30. West wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind around 10 mph.

Wednesday: A 30 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Wednesday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

So we have an outside chance of three feet of new snow - it's starting to feel a lot like Christmas :shock: :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote: I don't know what's going on up in the mountains, but down here in Costa Mesa we are having the most intense springtime storm I have ever experienced.
Nice avatar.

Yeah, it is stormin' like mad here in LA. Very windy and constant rain.

HJ
everyday

Post by everyday »

the wind n rain just now (8pm) made it to my side (east side) of the San Jacintos and accordin to my friend its snowing top of tram. theyre expecting 17 inches. and level to 5500ft. I will look at my mountain tomorrow wen i wake up n letcha know if we
got what they're predicting 8)