Middle Fork Trail to Icehouse Saddle

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

My buddy and I hiked the Middle Fork Trail to Icehouse Saddle on Sunday. I knew it was going to be hot, but I figured it was worth doing since Sunday was a relatively cool day and Icehouse Saddle is always a pleasant place, even on a sweltering day.

There was water flowing at Third Stream Crossing. Enough to dip our heads to cool off.

We came across two FS volunteers just below Comanche Camp who were a bit surprised that we were going to the saddle. Apparently most people backpack it? They asked us for our permit but I didn't have one. I didn't know you needed a permit there for a day hike. I told them they need to install a permit kiosk at the TH like there is at the Icehouse Trail TH (they agreed).

The saddle was busy as usual, but not too bad. We hung out with a couple hikers while we woofed down our sandwiches. The saddle is one of my favorite break spots in the Gabes.

The hike down was even hotter, but the shade between Comanche and Third Stream Crossing made it bearable. The final mile was tough though. By that time it was in the upper 80s / lower 90s with no shade.

All in all it was a great day and we only came across a couple on the trail. I look forward to coming back in fall/spring.

I should've gotten more photos but I was too focused on making it up to the saddle!

Miles: 11.2
Gain: 3701
IMG_2688.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I like that area. Definitely shady in the middle section. If you'd been there a couple months ago you could have shared in the grilled cheese fest.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

A Gabes classic hike. I'm amazed you actually saw some rangers. They are about as rare as a sasquatch sighting.
dima

Post by dima »

That's the SBNF, not the ANF. I've seen their rangers a few times.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sean wrote: A Gabes classic hike. I'm amazed you actually saw some rangers. They are about as rare as a sasquatch sighting.
haha. volunteers.