Switzer Falls/Bear Canyon Trail Camp

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
tallsquirrel

Post by tallsquirrel »

I was looking to take my 7 year old daughter on backpack trip #5. The trail camps in the front range are always a good bet. They are easy enough for a kid, almost always have water and allow campfires. If you ask my kid, the whole point of camping is to make smore's by the campfire. My biggest problem with the front range is how crowded it gets on the weekends. Fortunately, we were able to arrange for a mid-week trip. First we had to drop off my younger one at the grandparents, a one hour drive, then two more hours of driving to get to Switzer Falls Picnic Area. All that driving was very draining, but as soon as we got on the trail it was all worth it.
RIMG0271.JPG
From the start, the hike is relentlessly green and verdant. The Arroyo Seco ain't so Seco! It blows my mind how wet the canyons of the front range are, even into fall, even in drought years. They are very similar to my Santa Ana Mountains. Same plants and animals (excepting black bears). Similar geology and topography. Mt. Wilson is 5700' and Santiago Peak is 5600' Yet the canyons of the front range are so much wetter. Why? Is it because of the east/west alignment of the traverse ranges? Because they are flanked by the high country? Or is the rock more porous and therefore stores more rain water? Inquiring minds want to know.
RIMG0279.JPG
I identified this beauty as periwinkle, a European invasive, probably planted by homesteaders throughout the San Gabriel Mountains.
RIMG0286.JPG
I believe this is our native blackberry (before fruiting).
RIMG0288.JPG
There is a cliffy section that rises above the creek for a half mile. Some of it is fenced off and wide enough for two people, but there are a few sections where a slip would be fatal. I was a little skeeved out having my daughter do this part, but other families hike it everyday. My mom sometimes said, "If everyone else jumped off a cliff, would you?" I guess the answer is...yes!
RIMG0315.JPG
Switzer falls was flowing nicely. It was perfect hiking weather, but a little to cool to take a swim.
RIMG0333.JPG
This was my first time going past Switzer falls. It got even more lush and there were abundant swimming holes along the creek. Lots of creek crossings to stay on the trail.
RIMG0499.JPG
We were going gradually downhill and the creek was flowing away from us. I was watching for the turnoff into Bear Canyon but I never saw it. I just know at some point we were going uphill and the creek was flowing toward us. The canyon became a narrow gorge and the trail got a little steeper. We were very excited to get to camp, which we mostly had to ourselves.
RIMG0377.JPG
We set up the tent, unpacked, got water and some firewood. Someone wanted smore's before dinner, but I stood firm.
RIMG0386.JPG
Well, she got her smore's after dinner and we had a great time by the fire until bedding down. Did not hear a single peep all night, not even a mouse or raccoon. No wind either. Dead quiet for hours. I slept surprisingly well. Not great, but better than I ever have on a backpacking trip. Took our time having breakfast and packing up. Didn't leave camp until 10am. Very pleasant hike back to the car. I hope she looks back fondly on this when she's older. I know I will.
RIMG0497.JPG
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. It's great that you have a daughter who enjoys hiking and camping. She definitely deserves s'mores for making it to Bear Canyon.

I don't have a great answer to your question, but I think the orientation of the Gabes does play a role in capturing storms and getting lots of rainfall in winter, keeping especially the Mt. Wilson area fairly green all year. According to a sign I read at Camp Hi-Hill (north side of Wilson), storms hang out over there and it's one of the wettest spots in Los Angeles. Also, the Gabes are much bigger and rockier than the Santa Anas, thus they hold more water in general.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I think everyone deserves s'mores while camping, I've been doing it in the backyard with the grandkids. Still trying to talk my 10 year old grandson into an overnight.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

How cool that you could take your daughter and enjoy a nice day of hiking.
Hopefully she will want to do more hiking with dad.