Potential choices for camping

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Check this guy out (click on the photo):

Four (4) knives and a bundle of zip-ties!
Nunc est bibendum
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

I wonder if he will use the zip ties as a sleeping bag when the night air freezes his #$% off. :roll:

Here is a photo of my day pack.

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Kit Fox wrote:I wonder if he will use the zip ties as a sleeping bag when the night air freezes his #$% off. :roll:
I like your optimistic scenario. I figured he used them to restrain his prisoners after taking their bivy sacks.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I definitely want to bring four flashlights and four knives but no sleeping bag on my next trip. :lol:

Methinks the "preparedness" cart has been put before the truly essentials horse.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Nice LMF!

This is my setup. I am taking Fight On on a "hike". :lol:
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

AlanK wrote: I like your optimistic scenario. I figured he used them to restrain his prisoners after taking their bivy sacks.
I definitely want to bring four flashlights and four knives but no sleeping bag on my next trip.

Methinks the "preparedness" cart has been put before the truly essentials horse.
It is amazing what people consider to be essentials. While reading Cody Lundin's 98.6 he mentions how his students would rather bring extra food, than clothing.

On a side note, this is my summertime day hiking gear. The extra trash bags can be filled with pine needles or other insulating material, if i'm forced to stay overnight. Winter time gear is a different story, much more layers are employed.
Taco

Post by Taco »

For summer, I bring whatever route-specific gear (rock climbing) is needed. I then bring a few food bars, and water. Aside from those things, I have keys, my wallet, and my cellphone, sometimes a hat or sunglasses. I used to carry lotsa stuff... none of that is important.

And a camera, of course.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

TacoDelRio wrote:Nice LMF!

This is my setup. I am taking Fight On on a "hike". :lol:
I'll carry all that stuff. As long as we get to Idlehour. (via Eaton Canyon) :D
simonov

Post by simonov »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm packing zip ties from now on. 1,001 uses . . .
Nunc est bibendum
Tim

Post by Tim »

My summer dayhike gear:

1. Basic Silva compass
2. Lighter
3. Leatherman Squirt
4. Motrin
5. First Aid
6. Doug Ritter's Survival Kit
7. Princeton Tec EOS
8. Waterproof matches
9. Spare batteries
10. Space Blanket
11. Benchmade Mini-Griptilian
12. Thermometer/whistle/LED light
13. Silnylon sack for Items 1-10
14. Salomon daypack
15. Sunscreen
16. Nalgene 3L reservoir
17. Topo map
18. Garmin Vista HCx
19. Suunto MC-2D compass (I rarely bring this)
20. LED flashlight (only for night hikes)

Weights:

Daypack: 18.5 oz
Reservoir: 7.8 oz
Survival Pack (Items 1-10): 22.5 oz
The rest: 22.0 oz
======================
Total: 4.5 lbs

Add water, some snacks, a light jacket and it's probably around 12-13 lbs.

In the winter I use a larger pack, have more layers and bring this stuff:

21. BD Raven Pro
22. BD Winter Bivy
23. Petzl Elios helmet
24. Gaiters
25. Grivel G10 steel crampons OR
26. Stubai Ultralight aluminum crampons
27. Neck gaiter and beanie
28. Fleece gloves
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

This is cool!
Why do you guys use the matches and the burnt cotton stuff? I just use one of those mag sticks. The matches can get wet, same with the starter cloth stuff. The mag stick kicks booty on all that stuff. WHITE HOT FLAME DUDE! HOT LIKE STILETTO PUMP IN DA CLUB!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON, have any of these videos you post, ever been on topic? :roll:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:FIGHT ON, have any of these videos you post, ever been on topic? :roll:
WHY JIM! :roll: These videos are carefully selected to help the reader understand more clearly. So it is interesting that the dry heaves may not be related to water. Why not filter it anyway? not only humans could be above where you are drinking. COME ON JIM, IT AIN'T LIKE IT USED TO BE. OH THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANGIN'!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Kit Fox wrote:I wonder if he will use the zip ties as a sleeping bag when the night air freezes his #$% off. :roll:

So, Kit Fox, what's the advantage of carrying two hydration bladders? And do you put them both in the hydration pocket of your pack?

By the way, the total number of ounces of water in your kit is 244 (~7.5L) not 212 (~6.5L) unless you're only partially filling your containers.

Are those some special kind of SODIS bags or are they just regular zip locks that can be used as SODIS bags?

Just curious. A lot of interesting things in your kit.
Taco

Post by Taco »

simonov wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I'm packing zip ties from now on. 1,001 uses . . .
I've got a few packs of them in my glovebox. "Race ties". :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:

So, Kit Fox, what's the advantage of carrying two hydration bladders? And do you put them both in the hydration pocket of your pack?

By the way, the total number of ounces of water in your kit is 244 (~7.5L) not 212 (~6.5L) unless you're only partially filling your containers.

Are those some special kind of SODIS bags or are they just regular zip locks that can be used as SODIS bags?

Just curious. A lot of interesting things in your kit.
I'll take this one Kit. Some of these guys on here! :roll: I do the same thing! Great minds think alike. One could break. When you are done with one the second is already ready. I hate stopping and refilling. If you are gonna carry all your water why not stick a hose on it. I am gonna get one of those rei filters (the real light ones) and add it to my gear. Not that I plan on counting on water outside what I start out with but I am not a fan of the dry heaves. And the most important reason that we carry two bladders is that "The Mountains are the means, the man is the end; the idea is to improve the man, not to reach the top of the mountain."
It's ok Kit, All we can do is keep repeating this. Maybe they will get it someday!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote:Why do you guys use the matches and the burnt cotton stuff? I just use one of those mag sticks.
Try your mag stick in a strong wind, like say when it's storming and you really need it. Good luck. Those storm proof matches (or NATO lifeboat matches) aren't such a bad idea. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. I usually carry three ways to start a fire: matches, a lighter, and a Spark-lite (a flint and steel thingy).
FIGHT ON wrote:...it is interesting that the dry heaves may not be related to water. Why not filter it anyway? not only humans could be above where you are drinking.
Weight, ya gotta carry the filter and you've got to lug around the filtered water, and time, ya gotta pump the water instead of just drinking it right there and then.

On the other hand, the risks of drinking untreated water are small:
1. The presence of giardia in N American waters is grossly overstated.
2. If by chance there actually were giardia, most people won't become sick. Humans and giardia have coexisted for millenia; humans have built up a natural resistance.
3. If by chance there were giardia and by chance you did show symptoms, the majority of people report only mild discomfort and recover on their own without any medication or intervention.

The chances of contracting a case of giardiasis from the ingestion of surface water that is a) serious and b) requires medical intervention is pretty remote. My frequent choice is to "drink smart" (pick my water sources carefully) rather than schelp a filter and filtered water around.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Good point about the eggs. The mag flakes would fly all over the place unless you had it under the rain and away from the wind etc. But it is good to carry I think. I don't carry a lighter but if I did I would carry something like this. http://www.zodiacgift.com/cgibin/store. ... t-torch2-l
seems that would work better than the matches too.
You always say that about the water. I can't tell good spots from bad ones which is one of the reasons I carry all my water.
Can't say I have seen or read about anybody sick from drinking water from streams lately or ever for that matter. So you think it's all hype to sell filters?
Wonder if anybody else shares your ideas about drinking from streams? Groovy!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline is another great fire starter. Damn thing is like napalm! Purell will also light because it's 62% alcohol.

I also carry three ways to make fire: lighter, matches, and a Spark-Lite in the DR survival kit. My lighter is this fancy U.S. Military issue but ironically it has failed to light a couple of times in cold weather. Not sure what the problem was.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

cotton balls huh? what do you do heat up the Vaseline in a pan so it's liquid first? then how do you start it? would a spark work? Or do you need a flame?
Tim

Post by Tim »

Nope, just coat the cotton ball in regular Vaseline. Open up the cotton ball a little and put a spark or a flame to it. It will light right up and burn like a giant ball of fire for awhile--plenty of time to ignite some tinder. I also read that lint from your dryer makes good fire starter.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Tim wrote:My lighter is this fancy U.S. Military issue but ironically it has failed to light a couple of times in cold weather. Not sure what the problem was.
Well, first, butane has problems generally in cold weather (butane becomes a liquid around 32F). Second, a lot of the higher end lighters use piezo-electric ignitions. Piezo is notorious for being cranky in cold weather or at elevation. I tried to used my very nice piezo lighter on top of Waterman on a snowshoe trip in February this year. I couldn't get it to ignite no mater how hard I tried even though the temperature was well above 40F. The combination of cold and particularly elevation can shut piezo-electric ignition systems completely down. The irony of it all is that a 99 cent Bic is more reliable. Ya gotta love it. :lol:

An interesting thread: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... post=26226
FIGHT ON wrote:Good point about the eggs. The mag flakes would fly all over the place unless you had it under the rain and away from the wind etc. But it is good to carry I think.
Nothing wrong with it at all. When it does work, it works like a million bucks. Just have a couple of other options is all. Check that fancy lighter that you linked to. If it's got piezo-electric ignition, think twice. For hikers piezo isn't necessarily the way to go. Piezo has problems with cold and particularly with altitude.
FIGHT ON wrote:You always say that about the water. I can't tell good spots from bad ones which is one of the reasons I carry all my water.
Can't say I have seen or read about anybody sick from drinking water from streams lately or ever for that matter. So you think it's all hype to sell filters?
Wonder if anybody else shares your ideas about drinking from streams? Groovy!
With respect to "drinking smart," your topo map and your personal knowledge of an area are your best assets. Humans and livestock are associated with contaminated water. Where humans and livestock are, there is a corresponding increase in waterborn pathogens. You therefore want to drink where they (humans and livestock) are not. I look at topo maps. If there are no roads, trails, or other areas frequented by people upstream of where I am, I usually will drink the water. Also, water taken directly from springs is usually safe; the ground acts as a filter. In areas that are frequented by people or where there is upstream human activity, I bring out the filter, baby!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Well, first, butane has problems generally in cold weather (butane becomes a liquid around 32F). Second, a lot of the higher end lighters use piezo-electric ignitions. Piezo is notorious for being cranky in cold weather or at elevation...The irony of it all is that a 99 cent Bic is more reliable. Ya gotta love it. :lol:
Ah, that explains it. Thanks. My fancy lighter does have a piezo-electric ignition. It works great when it works but the two times it failed was during nights near or below freezing and at high altitudes.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim wrote:Nope, just coat the cotton ball in regular Vaseline. Open up the cotton ball a little and put a spark or a flame to it. It will light right up and burn like a giant ball of fire for awhile--plenty of time to ignite some tender. I also read that lint from your dryer makes good fire starter.
GETERDONE!

It kinda works like a candle does. A fat 1" candle would be worth the weight too.

Look at this one. I can see using TP with the mag stuff. Nice to know.
Tim

Post by Tim »

FIGHT ON wrote:It kinda works like a candle does. A fat 1" candle would be worth the weight too.
Cotton ball is better. A candle needs a flame to light and will probably blow out before you get your tinder going. You can light the cotton ball with just a spark and you can put tinder right over it. If you wanted to bring a candle, it might be better to bring one of those small trick birthday candles that don't blow out rather than a fat 1" candle.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote: GETERDONE!

It kinda works like a candle does. A fat 1" candle would be worth the weight too.

Hey! Wait a minute. Those youtube links were on topic. :shock: Who are you and what have you done with FIGHT ON?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote: GETERDONE!

Hey! Wait a minute. Those youtube links were on topic. :shock: Who are you and what have you done with FIGHT ON?
ALL THE OTHER ONES ARE ON TOPIC TOO. It's just that some are sort of a little bit of a stretch :roll: If you think real hard they all make sense. Well at least they do to me. :? The only one that truly understands me is HikeUp. :lol: When me met, well, when we made eye contact, He knew exactly what I was all about. See, me and HikeUp have an understanding. If in the future you get confused and or think I am off topic, just give ol HikeUp a jingle and he will be able to explain. I mean really, do you see him complaining or saying he doesn't get what I am talkin about? NEVER! THE ONLY PERSON IN THE HIKING WORLD TO HAVE MADE EYE CONTACT WITH THE MIGHTY SUPER HERO FIGHT ON AND HE IS NOW IN THE KNOW!!!!! I COULD GO ON AND ON BUT YOU WOULD SAY I AM OFF TOPIC AGAIN. IT'S FRIDAY AND I AM GONNNA GET READY FOR A HIKE, SO IF YOU WILL EXCUSE ME. :roll:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I have plausible deniability. I admit nothing and plead the 5th...or whatever it takes. I know nothing.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:I have plausible deniability. I admit nothing and plead the 5th...or whatever it takes. I know nothing.
Well, I know less than that, so you're ahead of me. I'm off to Cornell, Jean, and Marion out by San Jac. today. Happy hiking everyone, and, yes, even you FIGHT ON, off topic as you are. Just don't get off trail and wind up in the newspaper!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
HikeUp wrote:I have plausible deniability. I admit nothing and plead the 5th...or whatever it takes. I know nothing.
Well, I know less than that, so you're ahead of me. I'm off to Cornell, Jean, and Marion out by San Jac. today. Happy hiking everyone, and, yes, even you FIGHT ON, off topic as you are. Just don't get off trail and wind up in the newspaper!
DO THE MATH DO THE HOMEWORK! do I look like a duck tape bandit to you? Not me man, My feet stay on the TRAIL. 8)
Cornell huh? My friend will be waiting for you. :lol: