Partner wanted for snow climbs

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

I'd like to do San G from the north side while the conditions continue to look like they might be good. Have done the route once before. This is class 2/3, steep snow, where you want to bring ice ax, crampons, and a helmet. I'm chicken to do this sort of thing alone, since it would suck to lose control, be unable to self-arrest, and then be all alone and injured at the bottom of the slope.

Anyone interested in this sort of thing? I was going to do it Sunday, but my partner ended up being unavailable. Conditions look like they will probably be at least as good, maybe better, on Jan 19-20. I'm also available on many weekdays.

If we get some more snow and colder temps, there are more possibilities at lower elevations that might work, e.g., I have a route I like to do in the Icehouse Canyon area where I head up Falling Rock Canyon, then pop over into Cherry Canyon and go up to Ontario Peak. (That one is also OK without snow, but not as much fun.) I prefer to do the Baldy Bowl on a weekday because of the huge number of people on it when the conditions are good on a weekend.

I'm fairly experienced as a snow climber, have done stuff like Shasta, Iztaccihuatl, and Rainier, all by the easiest routes. Willing to work with a newbie if they have the gear, are in good physical shape, and want to spend some time if necessary practicing self-arrest.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

I got some responses from this board and from a post on the SCMA board. Jan 19-20 looks not practical/safe because of the huge storm and possible avalanche danger, but have some tentative playdates set up for the following week. Anyone who's interested in this sort of thing is still welcome to get in touch.