Charlton Ridge-First Time Ascent

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
David R

Post by David R »

Well definitely not but I couldn’t find any write-up so until then it’s a first time ascent. This was my first time on the Momyer trail which gets a bad rap due to its lengthy distance of about 10 miles just to get to Dollar Saddle and an additional three miles to get to the summit of San G. My goal was to see if I could reduce the distance and make this a less lengthy affair.

The first six miles are all along trail with the first three miles climbing up the side of Mill Creek similar to Vivian Creek trail. From here the trail drops down to Anvil Camp which is a pleasant woody recess. You continue to contour along the side of the mountain until you get to the next creek which allows access to the crest. From here we dropped down to delightful Dobbs Cabin campground which is at the confluence of two creeks. This was the beginning of the ridge route up a slippery steep ascent of 1.300. This section was modestly steep and then the top section was very steep with lots of oak trees to scramble through.

From here the ridge jogs east with a slight downclimb until you climb up to Pt 8,872. I had a humorous fall here climbing a section covered with pine needles where I lost purchase and slipped six feet in slo-mo with the only consequence a scrape on my elbow on a rock nearby. From here you can hear Falls Creek and Allison Falls below you. This is as far as I’ve seen any write-ups on. From here there is another drop to the north. This section was moderate however there was a lot of manzanita and buckthorn which while not high unpleasant enough to impede process and slow the pace significantly as you search for the best method through. From here another 1,000 foot elevation gain to Pt. 9,812 awaits you through more brush. This was another unrelenting steep climb that was tiring and slow. From Pt 9.,812 you have a slight drop and then you have a final 300-400 foot climb to the trail. The conclusion I came to was just sticking to the trail would’ve saved 45-1.5 hour despite the longer mileage.

I hiked with my son and he was knackered so as opposed to going up to the summit we headed back down to the saddle and continued down the long Momyer Trail. The section where the Lake Fire occurred has created this slope of 1,000 feet that has primarily only manzanita growing on it.

The hike was a long one of 19-20 miles in over 9 hours with just over 5,000 feet elevation gain. An interesting route but not very satisfying as far as making hiking in this area any easier.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Interesting idea. Any fun rocks to climb?
David R

Post by David R »

Not too many, on the initial steep climb up there was some minor rocks to scramble over. At Pt 8,872 it was surrounded by a small rocky outcropping we went over. The best opportunity was just before Pt. 9,812 there was a nice 30 foot clamber that allowed you to avoid most of the manzanita.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Sounds like a fun outing, any pics?

I'm a big fan of the Momyer trailhead, it's obviously a longer approach, but you get much more solitude than Vivian Creek. I always enjoy passing through Plummer Meadow just below the main ridge, with the wide open space and pretty regular stream with a nice change in vegetation.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I was just on Charlton and I'm trying to figure out where you were. Do you have a GPS track?

I think I mapped out a route to Charlton from Momyer and I remember it something like 22 miles round trip on the trails. It was only 14.9 from South Fork. There are still huge parts of the SB mountains I haven't seen.