Baldy Bowl and Ski Hut Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

JerryN wrote: Wish I had been able to get out this weekend. It looks fantastic. Though…I can't imagine why you are wearing shorts.

Jerry
I hike warm. :)
Sean

Post by Sean »

You can never get enough of views like that. Thanks!
cab

Post by cab »

Went up Register Ridge and down the Ski Hut Trail today. No traction devices needed. Just some patchy snow that's easily avoided or walked over. Also parked without one of those illegal adventure passes and didn't get a ticket. They might not be giving out tickets at Manker Flat anymore or maybe I just got lucky. Save your money!
ALAWH

Post by ALAWH »

Has anyone been up this week since the snow? Thinking of heading up on Sunday. Thanks!
summitbaggers

Post by summitbaggers »

Hi folks,

My hiking partner and I will be in the area this Thursday (2/04/16) and would like to hike up Mt. Baldy to the summit. We are experienced hikers looking for the following info:

1. Trail conditions. We understand that Sunday's storm brought 6-8" of snow. What elevation does the snow cover start?
2. Recommended trails. We're looking for a 6-9 hour loop.
3. Recommended traction--crampons, microspikes, snowshoes, ice axe?
4. Parking tips
5. Ski lift options

Thanks in advance.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Crampons, axe, microspikes and poles. Helmet if you're going up the bowl. Watch for falling rime ice on the bowl or if you walk under a tree that might still be holding rime. Micro's from the TH to the hut can be helpful and crampons above most likely.

If you've never done Baldy before, consider the Ski Hut Trail. Google trail reports or peruse this board. Park at Manker Flat, take Falls Road up, turn right at waterfall and about a 1/4 mile on left is the steep little singletrack that begins the Ski Hut Trail. Follow the trail to the ski hut. After the hut cross the creek and follow the trail across the bottom of the bowl up switchbacks to the ridge. From the ridge follow the boot track to the summit and return the same way unless you want a longer day then take Devil's Backbone down to the ski resort. At the "resort" either take the chair lift down if it's running or hike down Falls Road back to Manker Flat.

Prolly 6 hrs with time for photos and breaks if you stay on Ski Hut Trail. If you return via DBB add another hour or so. Be prepared for icy conditions if there has been a melt/freeze since Sunday. It's been sunny so i imagine there has.
summitbaggers

Post by summitbaggers »

Hi Norma,

Belated thanks for the insight and advice. We took your suggested route, descending the last part with the ski lift. The only sketchy area was at what I now know to be known as the Crux. But, with a ice axes in hand, we were able to navigate that area without much difficulty.

It was perfect day on the mountain. We're sorry to hear of the fatalities in the days leading up to and following our hike.

Eric
norma r

Post by norma r »

Glad you had a good day of it. I assume the crux you refer to are the two steep gullies that you traverse above where the boot track is narrow and snow frequently icy. I remember walking those years ago with my crampons in my pack and knowing they should be on my feet. I consider myself very lucky in my early years of mountaineering for making less than wise judgement calls with no grave consequences. Every time i hear of a death in the mountains it makes me sad. It's such a wonderful sport, but the risk factor is real and we must stay aware.
seadweller

Post by seadweller »

hi,

Can someone kindly post snow conditions on the Ski Hut Trail and
the Devil BB trail on Baldy?

Trip reports would be even better.

I do not want to add myself to the statistics of the fallen.

Thank you
seadweller
Sean

Post by Sean »

People have been doing Baldy with microspikes recently. I'd say at least carry micros. But there is currently a snow storm hitting the area. So depending on when you go, you might need crampons and ice axe too.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

I took my dogs up the ski hut trail a couple of weeks ago. Solid snow started on the left side of the bowl under the trees, so we just played around there in the snow and didn't go any higher. There was a boot track.
Sean

Post by Sean »

A picture is worth a thousand words. Taken yesterday from near Baldy Notch.

kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

My buddy and I plan to start *early* on memorial day and head up there before the crowds.

Our trip is to get the ski hut, summit and then head down Devil's backbone, the notch and the fire road.

The last post I saw here on early May talked about microspikes being required. Is it still the case?

Thanks in advance.
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

No traction needed for Ski Hut/Bowl trail, Devils Backbone and Bear.

Miles of smiles,
Ellen
Naaate

Post by Naaate »

No traction needed for Ski Hut/Bowl/Backbone. Hiked this weekend and only saw a few tiny patches of snow 30 yards off trail.