Mammoth Lakes

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We spent 4 days hiking around Mammoth Lakes. We had been there only once before in 2008 when we visited the Devil's Postpile.

Our first day, we did a light hike to Rainbow Falls to get used to the altitude. The San Joaquin River is flowing from right to left in this view. At the left side is the brink of the falls.

There really is a rainbow. The stairs to the base of the fall were closed for repairs. We had to view it from above.

On day 2, we hiked to Olaine and Shadow Lakes. Olaine Lake had a mirror reflection of the opposite shore.

Once you pass Olaine Lake, there is 700' of gain to reach Shadow Lake. The outlet creek makes for a stunning cascade.

As you gain altitude, you come up to eye level with the lake.

Here is the cascade looking down.

Shadow Lake

Glaciated peaks tower above.

On the way back, this young buck stopped to have his picture made.

On day 3, we hiked the Duck Pass trail as far as Arrowhead and Skelton Lakes.

Arowhead Lake lies below nameless peaks.

So does Skelton Lake.

On day 4, we hiked to the Sherwin Lakes. There are five lakes on the topo map. The first two can't be seen from the trail. The third lake can be seen through the trees. A faint use trail leads to its shore.

The trail winds along the shore of the fourth lake. This is where we stopped to eat lunch.

The chipmonks here were really agressive. They showed no fear of people. They would come quite close looking for a handout.

Happy hikers at Skelton Lake.

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Super nice pics Richard. Nice to see such good flow in the creeks this late in the season. That hike out to Shadow Lake is worthwhile. The views are stunning and the lake is very beautiful.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

RichardK wrote:
There really is a rainbow. The stairs to the base of the fall were closed for repairs. We had to view it from above.
Still closed? I was there in July last year and the stairs were closed for repairs. Sadly I didn't get to see a rainbow like yours.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Stunning. You sure know how to make the most of your west coast trips. That chipmunk looks well-fed.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Those are awesome pics. I love the falls and cascades. I hope to get there some day, but my list is much longer than my days off.