Annual Winter Mountaineering Clinic

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

thiseukaryote wrote: Count me in!

What time would you guys be heading up to stay overnight at the ski hut? I would be up for that as well, if there are people heading up after work the day before.
I've only been up there once, so not sure if I should try getting there by myself in the dark.
If I could, I'd spend the previous day up there doing something, so probably early morning the day before. This is assuming I can secure the hut for a small-ish group.
Logan

Post by Logan »

This sounds cool. I am in. We just need some snow now.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Snow? What's that?

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Originally I figured mid-January, buuuuut... who knows! We will know once the Bowl is in condition.
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

Praying for snow and eager to try some mountaineering. I just got back from dry lake overnight not much snow up there either. I picked up a book mountaineering freedom of the hills to get me started till the snow!
Taco

Post by Taco »

I reckon I don't have to tell everyone that this event is being pushed back "hella far", or cancelled altogether. This is the worst winter I've ever experienced, because it isn't even here.
Jeremiah_Johnson

Post by Jeremiah_Johnson »

Anyone know about a local glacier maker for hire?
atypicaleric

Post by atypicaleric »

Is this Winter Mountaineering Clinic starting to happen again? I see snow! :D
rocketboy

Post by rocketboy »

I second atypicaleric's question. If this is back on again at all this winter, I'd love to join.
Taco

Post by Taco »

A Saturday in January would be good. I have a very hard time requesting time off despite my extremely low social standing, so we would need to pick a day kinda right now. :?
Stockwell

Post by Stockwell »

Jan 17th or Jan 24th would be perfect for me! Highly interested, as always haha, I try and get ready for this every year but have never made it via gear, conditions, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

"A typical Eric" or "(an) Atypical Eric"?

And in either case...where's the dividing line?
mrnizegy

Post by mrnizegy »

I'd love to join in on this and meet some of you. Those dates would work for me. Doing Icehouse to Timber tomorrow!
grammacrobat

Post by grammacrobat »

I would love to join the group as well! I have all the gear and have a few winter ascents already under my belt. Would be great to learn and practice technique.
Taco

Post by Taco »

OK, so far we have Jan 17 and Jan 24. I like 17. Whadaya say guyz?
Stockwell

Post by Stockwell »

I will be keeping an eye on this thread Taco, the 17th would be awesome. More to hear hopefully as we get closer to than!
Taco

Post by Taco »

The 17th seems to be the popular choice so far. I'll plan on it and try to get that day off.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I'm interested as well, I just got back from up there yesterday just past the ski hut, there is so much snow my legs were sinking and to soft for a climb up the face so we had to fall back.

Edit: I can do the 17th but may I request the 10th? It's also a Saturday and 3 weeks away. Maybe I'm just a little impatient ;)
Taco

Post by Taco »

You can do whatever you please, but I can only have one of those days off. Not that it's required that I'm there, but I typically organize the event.
kylemypaa

Post by kylemypaa »

I'd love to get in on this...
Beantown

Post by Beantown »

I would like to get in on this, either date works for me. I have all the gear just need to put it to use!
Taco

Post by Taco »

I've updated the name of the thread to make more sense.

For those of you new to this, here is a gear list. I'm covering essentials and not clothing/layers, as that's individual.

-Crampons: I would suggest strap crampons over microspikes. Microspikes are just fine for most outings in the area, and probably adequate for what is taught at the clinic, but they're more of a hiking tool than a mountaineer's tool. Black Diamond, Petzl, Camp, and Grivel all make easy to find strap crampons that can fit over most any waterproof boot.

-Boots: Anything waterproof will work, however you'd be best served by a light alpine boot designed specifically for mountaineering. It makes the experience much better. An example of such a boot would be the La Sportiva Trango, which is the gold standard.

-Axe: A standard mountaineering axe is best. I usually carry the common/standard Black Diamond Raven, 70cm in length. One may choose to have a leash for it. You can either buy one from REI or a similar location, or you can just make one out of webbing or a sling. Some do not use a leash.

-Helmet: A helmet is strongly suggested for climbing the bowl, or really any steep snow route in the San Gabriels. We have very loose rock here, and the freeze-thaw cycle loosens them and sends missiles down on climbers. We can discuss forecasting and route selection to avoid such objective hazards.

For layers and clothing, I would suggest highly water resistant pants that you don't mind beating up. You will be falling down a snow slope and self-arresting with an axe. and snow can be abrasive. Protect your skin and perhaps don't wear a $50,000 Arc`Teryx Mega Elite jacket. ;) Goretex gaiters are also a swell idea.

Any questions?
kylemypaa

Post by kylemypaa »

When and where? :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

January 17
How does meeting at the hut by 9am sound to everyone? Or perhaps in the bowl? I don't mean to direct excess traffic into the Ski Hut if that's a concern.

Last time (heh, the only time), we met at the bottom of the south side of the bowl, which has zero rockfall hazard (that day). I guess we'll all figure to meet in the bottom of the bowl around 9.
kylemypaa

Post by kylemypaa »

I'll be there.
bluerail

Post by bluerail »

last time was fun too
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Bummer, last time was fun! Gotta' work that weekend...
simonov

Post by simonov »

Here are some pics from the 2011 clinic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/simonov/s ... 681541187/

I'm sorry I can't make it this year; I already scheduled a hike with the teens that day.
Nunc est bibendum
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Thanks, Mitch! Yup, that's me following my friend Chad up the ridge.
I highly recommend that if any of you haven't tried or need to practice self-arrest, this is the place to do it. Great times! Thanks, Taco!
simonov wrote: Image

I'm sorry I can't make it this year; I already scheduled a hike with the teens that day.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I do hope we get more snow, cause if we don't... Imma need some ideas. :?