Snow Creek to Pt 4460

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I finally got over to the Snow Creek trail head of the PCT after hearing so much about it from others. The PCT lolly gags around and goes nowhere fast, but it's an interesting area, worth a visit.

I've written up a Trip Report for Snow Creek to Pt 4460.

In the report, I'm very specific about:
How to find the trailhead.
Where to turn off the DWA road so you don't get into trouble.
Where the water is
Just what is public land and what is private land

And of course I have a few nice photos.

Have a look if you like,

HJ
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Cool beans Jimbo. How did you super-impose the precise Section locations over the Caltopo satellite image? Pretty slick.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Uncle Rico wrote: Cool beans Jimbo. How did you super-impose the precise Section locations over the Caltopo satellite image? Pretty slick.
Well, first I toggled to the USFS map view which shows the sections. Then I selected the CalTopo option to draw a polygon. I drew the polygon such that it matched the section boundaries. Then I toggled back to satellite view and saved it. Voila, section map on sat photo.

HJ
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Great report and photos, HJ. Nice to see some new content on the blog.

Super cool area, but I am not sure it is worth the potential hassle.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

tekewin wrote: I am not sure it is worth the potential hassle
A number of climbers have been going east of the DWA property and ascending the upper reaches of Snow Creek to San Jacinto Peak. Arduous, but legal. The DWA has not been harassing them lately that I know about.
I stayed on the PCT. No harassment, but then the DWA doesn't have a reputation for messing with people on the PCT.
I've been told that the DWA has taken down the No Trespassing sign on the small service road that goes to the water tank that serves Snow Creek. Word is that the Forest Service made them do it.
Some canyoneers I know recently did Falls Creek, exiting the creek before the DWA property line. They were not hassled by the DWA.

So, maybe current lease renewal process has put the DWA on notice that they have to honor the terms of their lease (which permits public access to Section 28 on foot). Maybe.

One of the problems is that the DWA itself doesn't appear to know where the property line is. Take a look at this photo.

The property line is clearly south of the Caretaker's cabin, but they've erected a fence (I've circled the gate on the fence) north of the Caretaker's cabin. :roll:

HJ
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I appreciate the work you and others have done on behalf of hikers.

I understand the DWA has a serious job, but they seem heavy handed.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, sometimes they do seem heavy handed. The story is that they've in effect arrested people in Section 28 (public land). I wasn't there, but that's what has been said. I hope the current lease renewal process makes things clearer for all.

HJ