20140729 Eaton Canyon Before Closure

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Robert and I took a hike down Eaton Cyn. He's pretty new to canyoneering and whatnot so he wanted to go have fun in this cool place before it's 'closed'. Conditions were real dry with loads of frogs, toe-biters, Water Boatmen, and other critters. Not a whole lot to say, just took it easy and casual and had a good time. Spent 8 hours in there. It's more tiring than doing it fast, believe it or not.

Image20140729 by TacoDelRio, on Flickr
Here we can see how mega smart Robert is, for he is wearing the San Gabriel Mountains secret weapon. Playing with his new stove and making some tea.

Drunk filter

His face when I told him the anchor was in the process of failing.

Wildman jump

Thanks for chillin', thug. 8)
James

Post by James »

Good times. That's a long jump!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

As you descend Eaton above the proposed closed area, is there any signage indicating anything is closed?
The Angeles website has zero info on any closure....but of course it has told the media on numerous occasions, including today.
fortified

Post by fortified »

According to the news, signs went up today. Warnings for a while, then $5,000 fine, and six months jail. The police state keeps expanding. I wonder if homeland security, (the national police state.. I mean force) will come in with the sharp shooters, black helicopters, and tanks.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I didn't see any upstream, but I saw a ton of small flexible posts saying DON'T HIKE HERE on em down where all the people are.
fortified

Post by fortified »

I have not been to the first falls in a year. I would imagine the water flow would be about as low as it gets???
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It's the lowest I've ever seen it. There are several completely dry sections in the canyon where it doesn't even appear above ground.

Now it's closed forever. THANKS OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111eleventeen
fortified

Post by fortified »

January, Feb, of 2011, you couldn't cross the water down at Walnut Canyon shortcut. That's about .7 miles below the bridge. In the winter of 2004-2005, I watched Mt. Wilson toll road get washed out, as it happened. Some True idiots walked out to the bridge to see the water. They got stuck as the mountainside between the st. and the bridge began slipping away. That's the moment they closed the area for a while. I could hear boulders the size of small cars moving. In the winter of 1966, or 67? when it rained for 40 days, and forty nights, and washed away the restaurant and New York Dr. extension,is when they decided to fix the reservoir. Now? I just saw the video of the gal that slipped on razorback a few days ago. There is a shot of the waterfall. By far the lowest I have ever seen also. It looks like a couple garden hoses. Sometime soon it will rain heavy for a while, and snow in the upper areas...... and it will be hard to cross again for a few weeks. It comes and goes over the years. Meanwhile the water district will give anyone $2.00 per sq. foot to take out your lawn and replace it with low water stuff.