Kaleidoscope Canyon and the Blue Pupfish

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We spent last Thursday and Friday in Death Valley. The two days could not have been more different. On Thursday, the sun blazed and it was 86. On Friday, it rained most of the day.

Wednesday's storm was clearing out the first morning. Here is a view east looking over Rhyolite.

South of Badwater, two coyotes were operating a road block. One was laying in the road. When you stopped to look, he and a buddy would circle your car exhibiting obvious begging behavior. People are feeding these animals - very bad.

The Kaleidoscope Canyon hike is documented here.

There were a surprising number of wildflowers given the drought. Sand verbenas, primroses, and gravel ghosts were plentiful. I found only one example of my favorite - the Desert Five Spot.

The canyon was festooned with brittlebush.

At the canyon mouth, the hike does not look like anything special.

Turn right at the next two junctions and the colors begin to come alive.

The further you go, the better the canyon gets.

Nearing the end, the canyon walls look to be glowing.

Happy hikers bask in the beauty of the spot.

Knowing that rain was forecast for Friday, we continued to Ash Meadows National Wildlife Refuge. King's Pool at Point of Rocks was full of blue pupfish.

A rainy Friday was spent at Scotty's Castle, a place we would probably not otherwise visit. It was better than I expected and is worth a look. Returning from the tour, a brief break in the storm offered a nice view of the Kit Fox Hills.

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Beautiful pictures. Love the DV.
rck

Post by rck »

Very nice!

Rick