20131109 Swordsmith Canyon 'First' Descent

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Amanda wanted to get out and do some canyoneering, and I thought "Well let's do a first descent! It'll be swell!" I have had this particular canyon on my radar for 2 years or so, and this was a good time for it as it turns out. It would be more fun with more water, for sure.

I have done a few canyons off Smith Mtn, and I named them all something with smith in the name. We've done Blacksmith and I think Gunsmith, and now Swordsmith. Beggar's Canyon and Poison Canyon kinda count, as they're on the same general slope/drainage area but they're near West Fork bridge. They all share a rather unique character for canyons in the San Gabriels. They're very arid, yet had solid smooth granite and shallow pools of water. There are also HUGE ferns here, up to 6-7ft tall in places. Bigass ferns! So weird, as the land just outside the canyon is so damn dry. These canyons also tend to not have much bushwhacking, which is extremely odd for something in the San Gabes.

This canyon heads from just southeast of Smith's summit and goes south, turning west at the last second to meet up with Bear Creek.

Anywho, we parked at Valley of the Moon 'Plantation' off R39 (south of Coldbrook) and hikes up to the top of Smith Mountain via the Bear Cyn trail. Went south to the other summit, and went down the ridge to the SE. EASY travel here until you get down the ridge a bit, when you get thick strong chaparral. We eventually got off that toe of the ridge pretty low and got into the canyon, which had no bushwhacking of any real sort until near the end, save for maybe 3 parts.

I made a simple data log for times and rapps on my iphone:
Start 0630
Saddle 0740
Break over 0800
Summit 0845
R1 1100 80ft
R2 1140 110ft
R3 and lunch 1150 50ft maybe
R4 1244 30ft maybe
R5 1340 140ft end 1405 train on this!
R6 1550 150ft
Bear creek 1615
Car 1700

It was like a much longer version of Bailey Canyon with somewhat more challenging anchors (1 deadman, some thin bushes, etc), but still easy. It would be more fun with much more water, as it is clear this canyon gets a fair amount of water each year.

Some pics:

Amanda heading up Smith

Looking over the canyon

The canyon

One of the rapps. Most were pretty long rapps, because they covered more ground. Not as steep as elsewhere, but there were a few with ledges and steps.

Cool spot

What some of the rest looked like

Throwing the bag

Another rapp

Weird grass hummock things

Near the very end

Saw this all along Bear Canyon. IJJITS!

All pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacodelrio ... 499764184/

So yeah, a good canyon. Not like most first descents in the San Gabes, which typically require a lot more work. It was pleasant. Pleasant canyon exploring in the SG'? I don't believe it one bit!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Cool trip. How hard would it be to climb up the canyon without protection?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Not sure, probably just a real pain with bushwhacking. You'd have to take an alternate ridge in. Not worth it, IMHO. Iron Fork is way better for that, since there's swimmin' to be done.
scabourne

Post by scabourne »

Thanks for the trip report. I looked on a topo map and see what I think you two did. Looks like fun.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Link to an Acme Mapper map. The specific spots just represent a path starting in the north.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Only wish my back hadn't popped out this past week lifting furniture for my mother-in-law. I would have loved to get out to that canyon.

Nice work my machete-family :wink:
Taco

Post by Taco »

THere are always more... so many more unexplored canyons.