Pacifico Mountain Road (3N17)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

tracker wrote: In late August I went up that road to release a bear at the Pacifico intersection. I came across a tree just like the one in your pic. After I pulled it out of the way and went by I just about ran over two guys who had set up camp in the middle of the road. :o
They had the gall to tell me off for driving on a closed road and moving the downed tree. :shock:
Well, obviously it wasn't closed to you!

Couple of numbskulls.

HJ
tracker

Post by tracker »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Couple of numbskulls.
HJ
Sleeping in the middle of a drivable surface in LA County is the Darwin Effect trying to work.
I wonder how they slept that night? I told them a bit of a fib as far as what the bear's demeanor would be when he woke up from the drugs. :twisted:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:

HJ
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

tracker wrote: Sleeping in the middle of a drivable surface in LA County is the Darwin Effect trying to work.
I wonder how they slept that night? I told them a bit of a fib as far as what the bear's demeanor would be when he woke up from the drugs. :twisted:
Darwin will have to come out of his grave to add a new chapter on LA and it's residence visiting the wilderness - Rubio Canyon is a fine example of what he can use for footnotes :shock: :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

lilbitmo wrote: ...Rubio Eaton Canyon is a fine example of what he can use for footnotes :shock: :D
Fixed it. :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing although there's plenty of trouble for the asking in Rubio.

HJ
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Was wondering if anyone knew if the road to the top of Pacifico was open to cars yet?
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

it's not, and FS has no plans to open as far I I can tell (I'll called a few times...
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Sewellymon wrote: it's not, and FS has no plans to open as far I I can tell (I'll called a few times...
I agree but I called ANF headquarters in Arcadia last week and was told it was open. So a friend and I headed up via Mill Creek and the road was gated just off of Angeles Forest Highway. So we headed back down and up the Crest and went in via Horse Flats, and that way was gated also. Have not called back to find out what is up, but will post here when I find anything out.
tracker

Post by tracker »

There are literally miles of burnt trees falling or almost falling on to the road at the Mill Creek end. Crews have been doing a lot of sawing and dragging the hazardous ones but at the pace they are working, it could take a while.
orbitor

Post by orbitor »

Does anyone know if the forest roads to Rabbit #1 and Iron #3 are open? I'm trying to find info about this, but no luck so far. Thanks.
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/10f.htm
http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/guides/10g.htm
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Haven't been up there for about a month, but AFAIK the main road is still closed. The main road has been graded a couple times in the past year and is in pretty good shape. Deadfalls have been cleared, but the burned trees on the slope above Mill Creek are falling regularly.

The road to Iron looks like it hasn't been maintained, so could be in bad shape. Definitely hike-able, though. ;)
orbitor

Post by orbitor »

Thank you for the info, Tom.

Do you know if the road to the top of Pacifico is open?
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Main road is closed at Mill Creek Summit and at Sulfur Springs Road (both ends), so no access to the summit spur road either. That was about a month ago, though. I'll be going up again probably next week, so I'll post an update when I'm back.

Post by 406 »

Just ride a bike in...it is really nice having the campground all to yourself.
Taco

Post by Taco »

406 LIVES! 8)
missy

Post by missy »

I just hiked to Mt. Pacifico via PCT from Mill Creek Summit about a couple of weeks ago. Very beautiful and well maintained. It was about 14 miles, but gradual elevation, i think about 2000ft gain. I went on a Saturday and had the campground summit to myself. The campground itself is open, and its in excellent condition. It took me about 30 minutes to find the very well hidden register ha. The FS3N17 (Santa Clara Divide Road) is still closed to Vehicular Traffic but open to bikers and hikers. I just mountain biked the entire Santa Clara Dvide Rd from Horse Flats to Bear Divide (45 miles). I was gonna do a trip report on here but kinda illiterate with the posting and using images thing lol. But as far as I can tell, its not in bad shape. I talked to some truck-contruction worker person at Gleason Rd. who thinks itll never reopen. However some guy at North Fork said it'll be open again by next Spring. who knows!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

missy wrote: I was gonna do a trip report on here but kinda illiterate with the posting and using images thing lol.
Post all TR's regardless. If you mention that you did a hike/ride and chose not to post a TR...well...there are consequences.

Ok. Just kidding.

Hmmm.

Am I?

Hmmm.

:wink:
missy

Post by missy »

HikeUp wrote: Post all TR's regardless. If you mention that you did a hike/ride and chose not to post a TR...well...there are consequences.
haha I figured it out, TR coming up in a lil!

Cheers!
:D