Lockwood Peak and San Guillermo Mountain, 12/16/12

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
DavidCrashStillman

Post by DavidCrashStillman »

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Cool adventure DCS. I suspect those 2 peaks don't see much action, particularly in winter. On an unrelated note, since you seem to have covered the VC back country pretty well, have you visited White Ledge Peak? I've wondered about that peak, but haven't heard of a route and don't know anyone who has ever been up there.
DavidCrashStillman

UR, yeah I've been looking at that one. White Ledge Peak is most definitely on the short-list. I haven't identified a route that looks doable in any normal sense of the word and I don't know any body who's done it. I have a feeling it's gonna hurt. -Stillman
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

i've been eyeing white ledge as well. everything ive heard from some local guides and looking at maps suggests its an absolute bear with tons of xcountry, decomposed scree towards the top, and lotsa thorns. ive actually been thinking of hitting it from romero trail in summerland and east on camino. if you guys give it a shot, please post a TR. thats pretty unknown terrain.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

That'd be a long slog from Romero MattCav, but I don't know that there's a short slog. But I was thinking somewhat along the same lines. Up Murrieta Canyon from the east to the divide, then up the spur south toward Divide Peak, then back east along the long ridgeline that runs all the way to White Ledge. Something like that looks like it would probably involve the least bush-whacking but who knows what the ridgeline is like. Could be scree hell. I'm confident DCS will have all the beta for us in the not too distant future (see how I threw that little challenge in DCS?). :lol:
DavidCrashStillman

Uncle R, u suk.. Kidding. Yeah, the route I've been looking at isn't really a route. I figure it'll have to be via Murietta to the ridge and then it's game-on. It may not go. We will just have to see. -DCS
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

haha, definitely post a TR. i know a lot of local hiking folks out here who seem to know a lot of about this area (eg bryan conant and curt cragg) have told me they've never been up there. seems adventurous and unexplored.