Mt Charleston 7.15.09

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

So i decided to make th most of my week off by doing Charleston Peak and bagging Griffith Pk in the process. After i planned to car camp. I was sick of the drive and stayed at Charleston Lodge for the night (15 mins from TH). and let me say the rate on a tuesday is a 3rd the weekend rate. As far as the hike....I started at the TH (7650ft elev) at 5:45 at around 7:15 i was over 10k Feet. Reached charleston saddle shortly after and bagged Griffith about 7:55. finally continued on to Charleston summit around 10am. Finished Back to TrailHead around 1:50pm. All in all the best hike ive done so far and the highest!

Cathedral Rock. Short hours mini hike that i did leisurely when i got into town
The Lodge
The register @ griffith pk

Mummy Mt, This connects to charleston thru the ridge in the foreground.
Ze should lead a charleston to mummy mt traverse!!!
U2 spy plane crash site
The easiest stroll at 10,600 any where
Stats. Accuracy ~ till i get better software!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice! so what would you compare the hike to?

what were the temps like?
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Nice report.

Charleston is a great hike. The hike to Mummy is even better.

Charleston reminds me a lot of San Gorgonio, but Charleston is a prettier with the aspens at the start and bristlecone pines up along the ridge.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Charleston prettier than San G? You take that back!
Nunc est bibendum
LD

Post by LD »

Nice going edenooch.So many people don’t know about this area just outside of Vegas. I love it. I go hiking up there every time we’re in Vegas. Was up there over the 4th of July week end when it was 107 deg in Vegas and 65 deg at Charleston. :shock:
If you would have continued north you could have come down the north loop. It ends up being around the same distance except for the mile walking back to your car.

Kathy’s right, Mummy’s also a nice hike. A little more off trail but a decent use trail. Just don’t do it in August and get caught up there in a thunderstorm like someone I know. :oops:
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Yeah it was 108 at the strip. Low 80's at the trailhead and 60-70 @ the summit. I was gonna do the loop but you neeed a shuttle car. Its more than a mile! Next time i want to camp at Charleston Saddle and Roundtrip the Mummy MT
LD

Post by LD »

edenooch wrote:Yeah it was 108 at the strip. Low 80's at the trailhead and 60-70 @ the summit. I was gonna do the loop but you neeed a shuttle car. Its more than a mile! Next time i want to camp at Charleston Saddle and Roundtrip the Mummy MT
Sorry, I should have been more clear. Coming down the North loop you can take a right at Trail Canyon which meets the actual North loop trail at a saddle. You can park your car there at the trailhead and it's only a short ways to Cathedral trail head.
You're right,that would be a lot more than a mile if you started from the actual North loop trailhead.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cool pics.
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice job and thanks for sharing your TR.
I've been wanting to do Charleston for a little while now ..
Cheers!
:)
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

Nice to see you are making the most out of your vacation.
Great pics!
kgw

Post by kgw »

+1 :!:

I saw my first snow up there somewhere. . .My dad (F86 driver) was stationed at Las Vegas for a while for practice of some sort, and took us up to the military facilities up on the mountain. First snowball fight. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good stuff. I've climbed Griffith but have been foiled twice by snow (I need to pick a month other than April) on Charleston itself.