Google Earth buttonology

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've noticed that Google Earth won't display all tracks or paths simultaneously. Is this correct? One has to deselect others until the track or path you want to view appears? :?:
Travis

Post by Travis »

Rob wrote:I've noticed that Google Earth won't display all tracks or paths simultaneously. Is this correct? One has to deselect others until the track or path you want to view appears? :?:
I have not had this problem, can you give me an example of when you would have multiple tracks open so I can try? I almost always only have 1 track loaded at a time, but have had multiple tracks loaded before with no issues,
Rob

Post by Rob »

Travis, over the next few days I'll play with Google Earth, and if I can recreate the display problem and describe it coherently, I'll let you know. Last week I updated my Google Earth software, and that might have improved track & path displays. Also I had months of hiking and driving tracks loaded into "My Places" folder (Garmin downloads); thinking there might be a functional display limit I flushed "My Places".
Rob

Post by Rob »

Travis, thank you for posting GPS tracks. Using your track data and Google Earth I was able to visualize a hike before my feet hit the trail.

I have a question concerning time stamps on GPS track files. When I converted one of your Google kmz files to Garmin gdb format, I saw no time stamps on the GPS track. Would this data limitation be a function of Google kmz format, my conversion software, or filters in place somewhere?

. . . Rob :)
Travis

Post by Travis »

I have also found that the time stamp info gets dumped sometimes, but not exactly sure why or when it happens. I will experiment a little to try to pinpoint it. Some of my tracks do not have a timestamp due to this reason, but most do.

Thanks for your comments,

Travis
Rob

Post by Rob »

One apparent lesson learned from 2007 wildfires is that Google servers and Google Earth overlays handle information demand and detail better than older mapping solutions in some California counties. A few days ago, as wildfires approached 100% containment, San Diego County Office of Emergency Services changed their primary map links at http://www.sdcountyemergency.com from locally-hosted PDFs of unknown age (e.g., missing freeways) to Google Earth KML links hosted on Google servers.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Very very smart move!!!

That's a ton of damage. :(
Rob

Post by Rob »

50% off topic: If you find yourself housebound or too productive, there is an antidote named Flight Simulator buried in Google Earth.

http://lifehacker.com/software/games/fl ... 295797.php

To activate Flight Simulator in Google Earth there is a hot key combination [Ctrl+Alt+A] for the first run; after the first run, Flight Sim adds itself to your Google Earth menu.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Top stuff, Rob! Awesome. Now if we could just strafe... :lol: